What can I do to prevent shin splints when running?

Mechanical eval. Shin splints develop when the stresses on the tibia are greater than the body can accommodate. There are multiple contributing factors. Wearing appropriate shoes, stretching your calves, having good core strength, and slowly increasing training (instead of making abrupt changes) can all be preventative. A sports doc or pt can evaluate your mechanics.
Stretch. I would recommend a program with stretchng and shoes that give good arch support and are appropriate for the sports activity. Dont try to increase the level of activity too quickly to avoid inflammation along the tibia such as shinsplints ice massage can help prevent it from getting worse.