I'm taking two depression meds, and no matter how much i sleep I am always tired. What do I do?

Dr. Tania Dempsey

In brief: Check labs

Depression can be caused by an underlying medical condition, such as thyroid disease.
It is important to get your thyroid checked because it can also cause fatigue and a variety of other symptoms. Medications for depression can also cause fatigue so talk to your doctor about getting to the root of the problem.

In brief: Check labs

Dr. Tania Dempsey
Dr. Tania Dempsey
Dr. Donald Jacobson
20% of people with major depression have sleep apnea. A sleep medicine consult may be in order. Sleep apnea causes daytime sleepiness.
Dr. Patrick Tapia

In brief: Talk to your doctor

You may want to discuss your symptoms with your doctor and make sure that you get a full medical evaluation as well.
Thyroid problems, low iron or low B12 are causes of low energy as well. You may also benefit from a consideration of sleep apnea with a sleep study and you will always benefit from the implementation of good sleep hygiene including no caffeine or electronics around sleep time.

In brief: Talk to your doctor

Dr. Patrick Tapia
Dr. Patrick Tapia
Dr. Marsha Davis