Not able to eat due to the inability to open my mouth all the way. How to fix the TMJ problem?

Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Several ways.
Limited mouth opening may be caused by a displaced TMJ disc.
The best way to determine this would be with a TMJ mri. If the disc is completely displaced, which is common with limited opening, then TMJ arthroscopy has the highest success rate. This is where a tiny scope is inserted into the joint under anesthesia and scar tissue can be released and full range of motion restored with relief of pain.

In brief: Several ways.
Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: See your dentist
Your dentist will determine the cause of limited opening.
It can be due to muscle spasms of jaws or TMJ issues. X-rays will be taken. Depending on the problem, your limited opening can be treated.

In brief: See your dentist
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Scott Williams
Dentistry
In brief: Many ways
There are many causes and many solutions to TMJ disorders.
I would get in to a dentist that deals with tmd soon if i were in your position.

In brief: Many ways
Dr. Scott Williams
Dr. Scott Williams
In brief: Closed lock
You apparently have closed lock of the jaw joint/joints- limited opening.
I would see a tmj/tmd specialist asap.

In brief: Closed lock
I would see a tmj/tmd specialist asap.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Expert Evaluation
See a TMJ expert to help with your difficult problem.

In brief: Expert Evaluation
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
In brief: See TMJ Dentist
When you can't open well, this can have a serious effect on your overall nutrition.
You need to see a TMJ dentist right away. In some circumstances, you may also need the assistance of an oral surgeon. You may need "manipulation under anesthesia" to help get the disc back in the right place. In conjunction with that, you need follow up with the TMJ dentist to put your bite back in the right place.

In brief: See TMJ Dentist
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
In brief: Ibuprofen to start
You have some sort of a closed lock of your tmj.
This is a significant sign of a major jaw dysfunction. Only eat a soft diet, take anti-inflammatory medications, try a cold pack to the affected jaw area. You need to make an appointment with a TMJ type dentist right away on monday as this can get worse or pain can intensify a lot.

In brief: Ibuprofen to start
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Andrea Brand