I had my braces removed 15 years ago. I have not worn a retainer and my teeth are perfectly straight. Should i get a permanent retainer for bottom teeth and removable for top to prevent movement now?

In brief: Yes on retention

Even though your teeth are still straight, almost everyone's teeth move to the midline with age.
They most likely will shift in the future. I personally don't like permanent retainers because it makes cleaning those bottom front teeth difficult. Removable retainers for both upper and lower would be perfect and just wearing them once a week at night should keep those perfect teeth straight!

In brief: Yes on retention

Dr. Alexander Gamber
Dr. Alexander Gamber
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry

In brief: Retainers

You are one of the fortunate people whose teeth are stable after braces, but as we age the teeth can shift.
Wearing a retainer a few nights a week can prevent this. A bonded lower retainer would make it much harder for you to floss and keep your teeth healthy so i would not recommend that.

In brief: Retainers

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Shifting

Shifting will occur throughout your lifetime.
You are one of the very few people who dodged the bullet and did not have relapse. Have your dentist check your occlusion for any signs of instability. If there are any, retainers may be a wise choice.

In brief: Shifting

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. William Forsythe