Can a small umbilical hernia affect my joining the military?

In brief: Most definitely.

The military will exclude you for an umbilical hernia.
I served for 28 years in the air force, and this was a very common exclusion. On the other hand, it's easily fixed, so new recruits just made a commitment to get a repair and they were enlisted shortly afterwards.

In brief: Most definitely.

Dr. Scott Welker
Dr. Scott Welker
Dr. Paul Harper
There is no reason to worry about an umbilical hernia. They are usually easy to fix. Having a repair done should you into the Air Force easily. Go US Air Force!
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: It shouldn't

Small umbilical hernias that cause no symptoms are quite common and can be watched without risk.
If the military examiner feels the hernia should be repaired, it still should not interfere with your military service.

In brief: It shouldn't

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey