My parents are alcoholic. How can I prevent myself from becoming an alcoholic too?

In brief: Don't drink. Ever.

One of the common features of alcoholism may be a loss of judgment with a very low-level exposure, and it may be genetic.
In short, one drink may make you too stupid to stop at two - regardless of how smart you are sober.

In brief: Don't drink. Ever.

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Don't drink

Some of my colleagues strongly recommend that people with strong family histories of alcoholism can best protect themselves by avoiding alcohol altogether. However, i advise my patients with family histories that if they stick within safe drinking guidelines (no more than 14 standard drinks/week in men, 7/week in women and older men (60+) and no more than 4 on one occasion, they will likely be ok.

In brief: Don't drink

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg