Can zyprexa, haldol, (haloperidol) or Prozac cause hair loss? I was already experiencing male pattern baldness but it has sped up and thinning. Maybe stress or oil?

Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: Psych meds hair loss

Hair loss can occur rarely with prozac.
After the drug is stopped it will usually grow back but there are times where it can be permanent. Haldol (haloperidol) causes hair thinning on a rare occasion. One out of every 100 to 1, 000 people on zyprexa will experience some degree of hair loss. Even over the counter drugs such as Cimetidine and ranitidine can do the same. I recommend that you discuss discuss this issue with your treatment provider and also get a dermatologic consultation.

In brief: Psych meds hair loss

Hair loss can occur rarely with prozac.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: Alcopecia

Alopecia is considered uncommon (0.
1% to 1%) with Prozac & is reversible. It occurs in 0.1% to 1% with Zyprexa. The frequency of Alopecia is not reported for Haldol. This information is from Drugs.Com. I don't know if any of these medications accelerated your rate of hair loss.

In brief: Alcopecia

Alopecia is considered uncommon (0.