I have had to much to drink in which I "blacked out, " but am I actually an alcoholic?

Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Addiction Medicine

Alcoholics anonymous works if you work it.
Consider attending six meetings before you decide whether it might work for you, or attending six meetings of al-anon if you are a friend or family member of an alcoholic.

Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. David Hunter

In brief: It depends

If this has happened only once and you do not drink frequently, you are probably not an alcoholic.
Most alcoholics drink on a daily basis. However, blackouts are a dangerous consequence from drinking too much. The next step in intoxication can be supressed breathing and death. If you cannot use alcohol in moderation, then you are a problem drinker and should seek professional help to stop.

In brief: It depends

Dr. David Hunter
Dr. David Hunter