Would it be helpful to seek a cardiologist for preventative measures to set a baseline if there is family history of stroke and heart disease?

Yes. You can certainly seek a specialist for preventative health, however, primary care physicians, like a family doctor or internist should also be able to help you determine your cardiovascular risk and what steps if any should be taken to reduce your future risk.
Preventio. Most primary care doctors are well qualified to advise patients on preventive measures for heart attack and stroke. If you are uncomfortable with a/the pcp you might consult a cardiologist.