I'm african american am I more susceptible to becoming an alcoholic?

Dr. David Hunter

In the United States, people of african american decent are at greater risk for problem drinking than the general population.
This risk is greatly influenced by your personal situation, however. If you choose to use alcohol responsibly and socialize with others who do the same, you can certainly overcome any excess risk that is just based on ethnicity.

Dr. David Hunter
Dr. David Hunter
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: No

Or at least not on the basis of your race alone.
Genetics are only one predisposition, and not the most powerful one in any case. More important is your family's history of alcoholism, if any, your childhood experiences, your parents methods of childrearing (family dinners, shared experiences, regular attendance of religious ceremonies and other family rituals).

In brief: No

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg