Overweight female 32yr. At what age should I get my carotids checked for plaques?

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine
In brief: Only if symptoms
Research has shown that screening for carotid artery blockages in people with no symptoms (such as a "mini stroke") provides little benefit and may cause a stroke.
It is therefore not generally recommended. If someone has symptoms, though, it is different and testing and surgery may be beneficial. A good iphone app to see a list of general checkup recommendations is my health checklist 2012.

In brief: Only if symptoms
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Not a factor
Obesity per se is not a factor. If you don't smoke, are not diabetic, and not hypertensive, your risk is very low until about 10 years after menopause (endogenous estrogen is protective).
You should get a cholesterol check at least once if it's never been done.

In brief: Not a factor
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional
In brief: Only if
You are symptomatic.
Screening of carotids only recommended if you have diabetes and other risk factors over the age of 55-65 depending on which study you read. Please correct your risk factors. See stroke.Org for good info.

In brief: Only if
You are symptomatic.
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology