My son has diabetes and he has a 1" scrape on his foot. Should we use OTC ointment and wait or see a doc first?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry
In brief: See a physician
I recommend that all diabetics, young and old, see a physician for any wounds that are more than simple abrasions - just to be on the safe side.
You can never be too vigilant when it comes to wounds and feet in the diabetic.

In brief: See a physician
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Richard Scofield
Internal Medicine - Diabetology
In brief: Seek help
Foot infections in diabetics are potentially dangerous.
They need to be assessed face to face (face to foot?). Might be a good opportunity to have a conversation with your doctor about what to look for in diabetic lower extremity wounds and about appropriate first aide.

In brief: Seek help
Dr. Richard Scofield
Dr. Richard Scofield
Dr. Adam Smith