My father is suffering from meniere's disease. What effective treatment is there?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: First is diet change
Ménière's disease is extremely sensitive to what we eat and what we drink.
Your father needs to stay away from caffeine alcohol fat salt and tobacco. The worst thing for him to eat would be a pepperoni pizza with beer followed by chocolate cake and coffee. Most patients do very well just with diet modification. My healthiest patients are those with ménière's syndrome.

In brief: First is diet change
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Difficult
This is a problem with the fluid balance of the inner ear leading to intermittant episodes of loss of balance, tinnitus and hearing loss.
The cause is unknown. Treatment involves medication to stabilize the inner ear like meclizine, and salt restrictive diets. Some success has been report with the use of Niacin and eliminating aspartame from the diet. He should see a neuro-otologist.

In brief: Difficult
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Eric Weisman