Jaw surgery to correct a protruding lower jaw, what should I expect during recovery phase?

Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Recovery in a 41 y/o

It of course depends on many factors, but at age 41 it can take a lot out of you.
The first week can be pretty rough...Lots of swelling and numbness, some pain but should be manageable, liquid diet, lots of rest. After the first week, recovery speeds up, but still takes about 6 weeks to completely recover from. In my experience most healthy patients return to work in 3 weeks.

In brief: Recovery in a 41 y/o

Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: A few things

You will be on a very soft or liquid diet.
Pain should be easily managed with oral pain , educations. You will have swelling and some lack of energy for a few days. Whether or not you are wired shut depends on the specific procedure and the surgeon.

In brief: A few things

Dr. Daniel Sampson
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: It depends

Depending on the degree of protrusion, the recovery can be very simple with just a few days of rest and soreness or it can be very complicated, requiring braces and jaw rest for several weeks.
Your surgeon should be able to tell you what to expect, tailored to your specific case and how s/he performs the surgery. Don't be afraid to ask.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery