How does alcoholism affect my body?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Many detriments

Medical problems from alcoholism include: depression, anxiety, suicide, liver failure, encephalopathy (brain problems), malnutrition, heart problems, ulcers, lung problems, aspiration pneumonias, esophageal problems, GI bleeding, kidney disease, bladder cancers, intestinal cancers, other cancers, bone marrow suppression, (need we go further?).

In brief: Many detriments

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
3 comments
Dr. Kevin Passer
I completely agree. Alcohol can damage every single organ in the body except the kidneys. Often, the organ damage becomes irreversible.
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Alcohol

Brain, herart, digestive system, liver, reproductive organs, mental state.
Refer to the image for details.

In brief: Alcohol

Refer to the image for details.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Every Organ

Alcohol can adversely effect every organ in the body except one-the kidneys.
Alcohol can not only damage the liver but also the skin, GI tract and especially the brain. And some of the damage can be irreversible and permanent the kidneys are the only organ in the body not harmed by alcohol. The human body seems to only really "like" alcohol in small doses. More than two drinks per day isn't small.

In brief: Every Organ

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer