Is pelvic pain and cramping the same thing, when talking about periods?

Not necesarily. Pelvic pain can be cramping but cand be different as well. A pain that is present only during periods could relate better . In the end diagnosing pelvic pain is a difficult task and requires a skilled physician to find out what is going on.
No. Cramping or dysmenorrhea is more of a subset of pelvic pain or can be considered completley separate. Many women have menstrual cramps, but few have ongoing pelvic pain issues.