Is there damage to the jaw when getting an impacted wisdom tooth removed?

Jaw Damage. It is possible to have damage to the jaw, but that is rare. Normally during an extraction the oral surgeon or dentist will only remove bone that keeps the wisdom tooth from coming out on its own. After about 2 months the bone will fill in to the empty socket where the tooth was and any bone that needed to be removed. A few months later you wont be able to tell a tooth was even there.
Impacted wisdom. Removal of an impacted tooth is a surgical procedure ; with all surgical procedures there are always risks. The more impacted the tooth the more likely the risk. Lt may require removal of some bone which usually fills in completely over time. Risk of nerve damage is also possible but usually temporary if at all. It's extremely important to discuss risks prior to surgery ; choose qualified surgeon.
Occasionally. Sometimes the jaw is stretched very wide in order to reach the tooth and remove it and this can damage the jaw joint. Kind of like hyperextending the knee. Most often this damage is temporary, but can be permanent.
Yes, but. Yes, there is a very long list of possible complications after wisdom tooth extraction. In the hands of a board certified oral & maxillofacial surgeon, serious complications are rare. Have a consultation with an oral surgeon. He/she will show you an educational video, examine you, and thoroughly discuss your situation.