I'm getting a bronchoscopy in 1 wk. Do I have to get an iv, or get my blood drawn beforehand?

Dr. Peter Hahn
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: It depends
It depends on your age, past medical history, current medications, and what type of bronchoscopy will be performed.
In most cases, we do check basic blood work including kidney function and coagulation studies. In terms of an iv, it is also dependent on where you have it done. In our center, we always place an IV for sedative/pain medications and possible needs during the bronch.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Peter Hahn
Dr. Peter Hahn
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
In brief: Yes, and maybe
The I.V. Is used during your bronchoscopy to administer sedatives and keep you unaware of what is going on (it doesn't hurt.
I have had bronchoscopy without any sedatives). Blood draws ahead of time are only necessary if you are on blood thinners.

In brief: Yes, and maybe
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology