If you have hernia in your belly button can it move or spread down to your groin?

Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

In brief: Not really

A hernia occurs in a weak part of the abdominal wall.
It is common to have simultaneous umbilical and inguinal hernias, though I do not believe they generally share the same hernia sac. More due to having risk factors in common. Are often corrected during the same surgery. Umbilical hernia usually requires general anesthesia, though inguinal can be done with multiple techniques.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: No, however...

...It is not uncommon to have both of these hernias.
A hernia is a hole in the abdominal wall at natural weak points including the groin and belly button. When small and without symptoms, some can be watched. Otherwise, simple repair (often with mesh) can be accomplished as an out-patient operation with a short recovery.

In brief: No, however...

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery