I'm really constipated lately. What in prune juice is supposed to help, since more fiber doesn't work in me?

Dr. Mark Gordon
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Additional measures
People with severe constipation, adter adequate daily fiber and fluid intake, may need to add a daily stool softener or two.
If this doesn't help, the next step can be the addition of a stool loosener such as miralax (polyethylene glycol). Follow the directions.Generics are fine.

In brief: Additional measures
Dr. Mark Gordon
Dr. Mark Gordon
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Fluids
Many people who find fiber "doesn't work for me" are probaqbly not lacking in fiber intake and should avoid excessive fiber. What they are lacking is sufficient fluid, 80-100 ounces, and eliminate all caffeine and alcohol sources from that liquid regimen.
Once the constipation resolves you can grqadually add cafeine and moderate alcohol back in until you find your threshold for tolerance /o const.

In brief: Fluids
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Marsha Davis