I think I have anemia because I don't eat red meat. Do all non-meat-eaters need blood check for anemia?

Dr. Ann Traynor
In brief: Anemia and meat
No. Most people get sufficient iron from other sources.
Young women can become anemic from heavy menstruation, but young men generally do not become anemic whether they eat red meat or do not.

In brief: Anemia and meat
Dr. Ann Traynor
Dr. Ann Traynor
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Not necessarily
Anemia can be caused by so many factors.
You probably are referring to the anemia that are caused by deficiency of nutrients i.e. Iron or vit b12. In addition to red meat, there are a lot of other foods that are rich on vit B12 and iron - for instance- other kind of meat , poulty, egg, milk- have some amount of vit b12. Spinach, beets, beans have are rich in iron. See your doctor for evaluation.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
If you are pure vegans ( only eat plant food) you can have deficiency in vit B12- but the process will usually take years to develop. If that is the case, you need to take some supplement to prevent it