Did my smoking contribute to the my child dying of sids?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Impossible to say
Statistically, sids deaths are more common both in babies born to mothers who smoked during pregnancy, and in babies who are exposed to second hand smoke.
But statistics only relate to hundreds or thousands of people; there is no way to know what the cause is in a single case. What is important for you is to quit smoking for your own health, and to have grief counseling for your terrible loss.

In brief: Impossible to say
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Scott Katz
In brief: Uncertain
By definition, sids deaths are unexplained, meaning no other diagnosis or cause was found.
Several factors are known to increase the risk of sids, such as tummy sleeping, co-sleeping and smoking.

In brief: Uncertain
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Natalie Hodge
In brief: Possibly
Smoking is a definite risk factor for SIDS deaths.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Jonathan Jassey