I have a mouth guard for bruxism. I wake up at times with my mouth clenched and have even worn a hole through the molar part. Is the guard working?

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry

In brief: Have it checked

It is impossible to tell you if your nightguard is as effective as it should be.
This depends on the design and the cause of your grinding. It will not stop you from clenching or grinding, but prevent the damage that it does. They do need to be checked when you have your teeth cleaned. It is not unusual for patients to wear holes in them.

In brief: Have it checked

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Sandra Eleczko

In brief: worn niteguard

Yes it is working but needs to be replaced.
If you did not have the guard all the stress and force of the grinding/clenching would be going into your tooth. Get a new guard.

In brief: worn niteguard

Dr. Marshall Dicker
Dr. Marshall Dicker
Dr. Arnon Rubin