Sleep study showed arousal 36 times per hour. Treated for ptsd with remeron (mirtazapine) and prozasin. Should i be on stimulant during the day for hypersomnia?

Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: Can't tell with info

Unfortunately, the number of arousals does not correlate with the degree of sleepiness.
Arousals are not the same as awakenings. Therefore with the information you've given me i cannot tell you whether you should be on any type of medication for hypersomnolence. That is something that you will have to discuss with your sleep physician. Best wishes.

In brief: Can't tell with info

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
3 comments
Dr. Donald Jacobson
If you have hypersomnia and no apnea, then a trial on a stimulant may be quite beneficial for your PTSD, mood, and level of alertness during the day. As long as you are not bipolar, another option would be Nuvigil, but in my experience Adderall works well in such situations.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
I recommend you contact your family doc re the BP and then report the family doc's recommendation to your psychiatrist. Unfortunately I am only allowed to give generic answers here. Never suddenly fully stop a BP medication because you could get rebound hypertension. Sometimes lowering Remeron increases sedation and raising the dose decreases sedation. Much trial and error is involved.
Dr. Parham Gharagozlou
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: NO NO

Need to find cause for arousals.
Talk to sleep doctor. Ent and psychiatrist may be helpful as well.

In brief: NO NO

Need to find cause for arousals.
Dr. Parham Gharagozlou
Dr. Parham Gharagozlou