I had itp 2 years ago and want to donate blood. Can I do it now?

Dr. Bhavin Patel
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

Since this is an idiopathic problem, and all the workup was negative, and if current status is normal, then you could be a candidate for blood donation.
However, at the blood draw centers, they may have regulation as to how long after being in remission that you can donate.

Dr. Bhavin Patel
Dr. Bhavin Patel
Dr. Michael Engel
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: You'll likely be ...

Excluded.
Generally, you can donate if you had acute itp as a child without recurrence, as an adult you have a normal platelet count, are not being treated for itp and you did not require splenectomy to correct itp when you were originally diagnosed. You may want to contact the red cross donation center in your area or your hematologist for clarification of your personal situation.

In brief: You'll likely be ...

Excluded.
Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Vicken Poochikian