I am elderly, I want to quit alcohol. Will my withdrawals kill me?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine

In brief: It could

Depending on many factors such as how much you have drank, your age and other medical problems trying to quit on your own could kill you.
Seizures and dts are possible, untreated dts have a mortality of up to 30%. If you are wanting to stop seek medical care first, i would recommend finding a detox facility that has a medical staff. You doctor may be able to assist with this.

In brief: It could

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: 23 is elderly???

If you are asking this question for someone else, they should be the one asking.
Cold turkey alcohol withdrawal can result in seizures and delirium tremens (dts), but even when withdrawal is milder it can significantly elevate heart rate and blood pressure, which increases risk of heart attack in susceptible people, as well as stroke. This person should seek help in withdrawing safely with meds.

In brief: 23 is elderly???

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Pathology

In brief: No

We can help. Do it. I was so glad to read about your plan to do this.

In brief: No

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
I think Dr Friedlander is saying that you need to do it with medical consultation, preferably from physicians who are experienced in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal syndrome, especially in the elderly. Untreated or even poorly treated withdrawal in the elderly can result in serious and even lethal consequences.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology