I accidentally kicked a bed post with my left foot. It's bruised and hurts a lot. Need an x-ray?

Dr. Robert Purchase
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Depends
If the bruising and pain are limited to the toes, then probably not.
Most toe fractures are treated with a hard soled shoe. If there is obvious deformity of the toes, get it checked out. It the pain and bruising extends into the main portion of the foot, then yes, see a doctor. Finally, if there is any doubt, get it checked out. Sometimes the best thing doctors provide is peace of mind.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sometimes fractures can be nondisplaced, but I still think its important because you should avoid certain activities if you have any fracture in your foot or toes.
Dr. Robert Meislin
Sports Medicine
In brief: Xray
If this occurred late at night an x ray can probably wait until the morning if the foot is still painful.
Typically, the tip of the phalange (toe) may be sprained but on occasion there can be a fracture.

In brief: Xray
Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Robert Meislin