How to treat an ankle sprain with a brace or an ACE bandange?

Aggressive PT. Physical therapy and ankle rehab has shown to be superior, but relative support can be provided to the ankle for pain.
Ice, rest. The best treatment is for rest, ice and nsaid. Sometimes an ankle brace is helpful to avoid inversion of the ankle which can reinjure to ankle or exacerbate symptoms.
Ace bandage. An Ace bandage is sufficient for protection and compression, immediately following an ankle sprain. A lace up ankle brace is excellent for support, once you become more active.
Many possibilities. Treatment depends of the exact type and severity of the injury. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.