Is it too risky for me to take birth control pills? My mom's a breast cancer survivor. Is it worth it to take them?

Dr. Sewa Legha
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: No major risks

So short term use for one or two years at a time is not likely to cause any significant problems. I think the benefit outweighs the risks.... Yet it is all relative and you only can decide what is best for you.

In brief: No major risks

Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Joshua Garren
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Tough question

There is a very small increased risk of breast cancer with the use of birth control pills.
Our best guess so far is that use of triphasic pills are the primary culprit. It might be worth verifying with your pharmacist that your pills are not triphasic. Also note that birth control pills seem to lower the risk of other cancers. Starting birth control pills as a teenager seems to raise risk.

In brief: Tough question

Dr. Joshua Garren
Dr. Joshua Garren
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery