Difference between herniated discs, nerve compression, radiculopathy, sciatica, spinal stenosis, spondylosis and osteoarthritis. I get various diagnosis?

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: It may be that you

Have them all as everyone ages so by 49 as a male, there are degenerative or arthritis changes in the spine termed spondylosis.
By age 60, 20% have some narrowing or stenosis of the spinal canal. Disc herniation can lead to it too all resulting in nerve compression which can cause arm/leg symptoms termed a radiculopathy or in leg also known as a sciatica.

In brief: It may be that you

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Prem Gupta
Neurology

In brief: complications of OA

When discs between the vertebral bodies bulge out usually backwards or sideways, it is called herniated.
This causes compression on the nerve roots between the vertebral bodies leading to shooting pain in lower extremities referred as radiculopathy or sciatica. Most often this starts in elderly when oseoarthritis in facet joints with discs causes narrowing (stenosis) of spinal canal.

In brief: complications of OA

Dr. Prem Gupta
Dr. Prem Gupta
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: A lot of Info

I would suggest going to spine-health.
Com to get your answers officially. Many times one or more or even all of those things are happening at the same time. I would suggest seeing a spine specialist for further detail.

In brief: A lot of Info

I would suggest going to spine-health.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Steven Seres