I am on 25mg quetiapine at night to aid insomnia and anxiety. Is it safe to take an antipsychotic for this complaint? I would rather not take it.

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Quetiapine

Quetiapine can be given to help insomnia and anxiety, if other options like trazodone, etc have either not helped or have brought intolerable side effects.
I hope you're also working in psychotherapy on your anxiety ; insomnia, allowing medications to be decreased to the absolute minimum. Quetiapine exposes you to some long-term risks that other options don't.

In brief: Quetiapine

Dr. Eric Weisman