Son was seen yesterday with bad ear infection and ruptured ear drum and today he says he can't hear out of if. What should I do ?

Dr. Dale Tylor
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Maybe see an ENT

While it is true that most eardrum ruptures heal on their own, sometimes an infection serious enough to cause a rupture can also impact nerve hearing, which is a more dangerous situation.
I assume he was given drops? He should be on them if not. I know a great pediatric ENT in columbus, meredith lind, in case you didn't know who to see.

In brief: Maybe see an ENT

Dr. Dale Tylor
Dr. Dale Tylor
Dr. Benjamin Kalm

In brief: Wait and See

The ear drum is very important for hearing.
Vibrations of the ear drum move small bones in the ear that transmit sounds to the nerve responsible for hearing. When the ear drum ruptures it doesn't vibrate well. Fluid in the ear also decreases movement of the ear drum. Once the infection is cleared (no more drainage) the ear drum typically seals in 1-2 days and hearing is generally restored.

In brief: Wait and See

Dr. Benjamin Kalm
Dr. Benjamin Kalm
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine