Heart arrhythmia question. How can I help my friend if she doesn't take her meds?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Can't

"you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him (her) drink.
" doctors face this problem every single day! if the rhythm problem is not of the life threatening type, your friend may simply find the symptoms less onerous than the medicines. So be it.

In brief: Can't

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
2 comments
Dr. Tim McDonough
Some patients, with some kind of arrhythmias, can be treated with a procedure by a cardiac electrophysiologist, such that lifelong medications are no longer necessary.
Dr. Bennett Werner
While Dr. McDonough is absolutely right, most EPs won't consider ablation until meds fail. Moreover, one must be compliant with medical therapy (like anticoagulation) or ablation can be dangerous. Finally, a good percentage of patients still require some medication even after ablation. It's not a substitute for poor compliance, in my opinion.
Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: You probably can't

Unfortunately, many times we don't learn by other people's mistakes and no matter how much you try to convince someone of something or how much evidence you present, some people are just not ready to accept reality and their way to cope is to deny.
Until your friend accepts that she has a problem (that can fortunately be treated or ameliorated with meds) she won't comply with the treatment.

In brief: You probably can't

Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Dr. Adam Levy