My bf has just told me he has type 1 and 2 herpes. What does this mean? What will happen to me if i catch it? Will it effect my chances of having kids

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Herpes

Herpes simplex viruses -- more commonly known as herpes -- are categorized into two types: herpes type 1 (hsv-1, or oral herpes) and herpes type 2 (hsv-2, or genital herpes).
Most commonly, herpes type 1 causes sores around the mouth and lips (sometimes called fever blisters or cold sores). Hsv-1 can cause genital herpes, but most cases of genital herpes are caused by herpes type 2.

In brief: Herpes

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher

In brief: Lifelong process

Your bf has a virus that can hibernate and resurface in cycles for the rest of his life.
It can be managed and flare ups minimized with meds, so you may or may not get it. If you acquire genital herpes, it does not impair your fertility.However, if a woman is shedding the virus during delivery, the baby can develop a massive brain infection and die.Surgical delivery before labor avoids that issue.

In brief: Lifelong process

Dr. Shontae Buffington