How can I prepare my body for nursing if my baby is premature?

In brief: Pump 5 times a day

After a premature delivery, the mom can pump her breasts 5 times a day to get the milk flowing.
She can drink plenty of fluids, and try to stay relaxed. Being very anxious or worrying about not having enough milk may cause her to have less milk output.

In brief: Pump 5 times a day

Dr. Kristen Stuppy

In brief: Pump, eat, sleep

Your premature baby will benefit so much from your milk when he/she is ready for food! pumping 8 times/day will help stimulate milk.
Be sure to drink enough water to keep your urine pale, take your prenatal vitamins & eat healthy meals, get as much rest as possible, and spend quiet time with baby! put a pic of baby nearby when you pump if you can't see baby. When ready, do skin to skin contact.

In brief: Pump, eat, sleep

Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Julia Sundel

In brief: Keep pumping

Try to breast pump as soon as possible and for 5 minutes every 3 hours until your milk comes in.
Try to express 6-8 times a day.

In brief: Keep pumping

Try to express 6-8 times a day.
Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Jonathan Jassey