Why can't I quit smoking?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Two addictions

Addiction to smoking is a two-part addiction: the physical addiction to the tobacco, and the psychological addiction to the act of smoking.
Success comes when both forms of addiction are adequately addressed. See your doctor for definitive help.

In brief: Two addictions

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Because it's hard

Nicotine addiction is one of the most difficult for many people to deal with.
I have had patients who told me they were able to quit alcohol, heroin and Cocaine but still couldn't stop smoking. It's social acceptability (less than it used to be), relatively low cost and high level of nicotine's addictiveness (plus a habit where each cigarette is 20-30 puffs x 20 cigarettes -thats400-600 hits/day.

In brief: Because it's hard

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg