Why can't I quit smoking?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Two addictions
Addiction to smoking is a two-part addiction: the physical addiction to the tobacco, and the psychological addiction to the act of smoking.
Success comes when both forms of addiction are adequately addressed. See your doctor for definitive help.

In brief: Two addictions
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Because it's hard
Nicotine addiction is one of the most difficult for many people to deal with.
I have had patients who told me they were able to quit alcohol, heroin and Cocaine but still couldn't stop smoking. It's social acceptability (less than it used to be), relatively low cost and high level of nicotine's addictiveness (plus a habit where each cigarette is 20-30 puffs x 20 cigarettes -thats400-600 hits/day.

In brief: Because it's hard
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology