Compartment syndrome vs. Stress fracture. Can both happen in training for cross-country running?

Yes they could. That possibility could happened because strenuous early training could cause stress fracture and compartmental syndrome. Thank you.
Not really. Exercise induced compartment syndrome is much less common and does not affect a new cross country athlete more than an experienced one. It is more affected by the structure of your legs and the physiologic ability of your body to compensate for swelling in your legs when you run. Stress reactions and stress fractures are much more common while ramping up to high level running.