I cleaned my retainer with listerene before i put it in. I read MRSA can live on them. Would alcohol kill it? Should i be worried?

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: MRSA ; alcohol

As long as u r using alcohol-based listerine (check label: newer versions don't have alcohol), u should be safe.
Be sure to clean off food particles before soaking the retainer ; soak at least an hour. You could also add some hydrogen peroxide for added sterilization. (ask doc if either ingredient might damage retainer).Rinse off with distilled/boiled water to remove any Fluoride residue.

In brief: MRSA ; alcohol

2 comments
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
wise that you are following preventive measures
Dr. Howard Schneider
The idea that a retainer needs to be rinsed with distilled/boiled water to remove "fluoride residue" is ridicules. The rest of the answer is sound.
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: No need to worry

As long as you keep your retainer clean there is no reason to worry.
Rinse it with water after each meal. Clean it with a soft toothbrush and water each night. Once a week soak if for an hour in listerine or alcohol. I have never heard of anyone getting MRSA from a normally maintained retainer.

In brief: No need to worry

Dr. Robert Wilkoff
Dentistry

In brief: Try this

Soak your retainer in hydrogen peroxide rather than listerine.
Peroxide will kill any bacteria present. Rinse it very well before reinserting.

In brief: Try this

In brief: Soap and water

I would not be worried about mrsa, but harmful bacteria can grow on retainers and ultimately harm your teeth if not properly cleaned.
Retainers are made from plastic, and are best cleaned with soap and water and a soft brush. Once a week, you can disinfect the retainer by putting it in a large glass of water with one teaspoon of bleach and letting it sit for 10 minutes.

In brief: Soap and water

Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care