I have an infected tick bite. Will cephalexin help?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Tick bite
The treatment of a given tick exposure will depend on the length of attachment, the type of tick, the diseases that are seen in the community, and the symptoms developed by the person.
Specific medical treatment depends on the pathogen(s) transmitted in the tick bite. For example, in adults, if one suspects lyme disease, Doxycycline or Amoxicillin or Cefuroxime axetil, or emycin (erythromycin) is used.

In brief: Tick bite
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Joseph Rosin
In brief: What is the source?
I you have an infection from the organism that ticks carry (babesia protozoa), you need much different treatment.
If you have a secondary skin infection due to bacterial contamination of the wound, it depends on the type. Also, you would need the proper dose and duration of antibiotic. This is best determined by a physician who can distinguish the source and prescribe properly.

In brief: What is the source?
Dr. Joseph Rosin
Dr. Joseph Rosin