Is it safe for a patient with dementia to get versed for a colonoscopy? Why or why not?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Versed

The colonoscopy procedure will be fairly quick, but patients do need some sedation.
Versed is frequently used, and is safe. It wears off very quickly also. Patients are carefully monitored and cared for during the procedure and after. They are in a recovery room until all systems are back to baseline.

In brief: Versed

Dr. Benjamin Lessig
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Probably no

This drug can cause increased risk of delirium (acute confusional state), especially when it comes to a demented patient.
I would prefer safer alternative such as profolol.

In brief: Probably no

Dr. Eric Weisman