Gave 2 yr old Advil 630pm. 930pm fever going up to 102. How do I alternate Advil and tylenol (acetaminophen). Please give time examples in your answer. Pediatrics?  

Fever. I don't recommend alternating tyelenol and ibuprofen, it can be possible to over medicate, in fact the aap discourages this practice. Use one form as directed, keep your child hydrated. If fever continues then schedule an appointment to see your doctor. Fever is the body's way of fighting infection.
Fever a natural help. In deference to the advertising industry, fever is a benefit to a child fighting an illness. Increasing blood flow & breathing provides fuel to make antibodies & cuts down germ reproduction. Fever with illness does not cause brain damage but does require more fluids. It is much better to focus on maintaining fluid balance than worrying about fever. Never wake a kid for fever meds.
I recomment not. I strongly recommend against alternating the two drugs. The risk of overdosing one or both medications with alternating schedules is very high.
Different duration. Ibuprofen (advil, motrin) works for 6-8 hours whereas Acetaminophen (tylenol (acetaminophen)) for 4 hours. Scheduled dosing as follow: advil at 8 am, tylenol (acetaminophen) at 2 pm, advil at 6 pm, and tylenol (acetaminophen) at 12 mn. If child still runs fever, give short bath th lukewarm water as needed. Please remember advil or tylenol (acetaminophen) does not cure, only provides comfort by reducing fever.
Alternate. Start with advil. It is a six hour drug and if in that time period the fever rises you can give tylenol (acetaminophen). Then I would wait to dose with advil until the next sign of fever. Just be sure tylenol (acetaminophen) is at least four hours apart and the advil is 6 hours. An alternate method is give one or the other every three hours. I would prefer waithing for fever to return.
Rotate 2 hours. Make sure you are dosing by weight and can alternate every 2 hours so there are 4 hours between same medicine dose. If fever were to continue to raise I would get the child examined. Not an absolute but most of the time a viral infection will respond to tylenol (acetaminophen) and Ibuprofen but then come back up. If fever does not respond I be concerned of a bacterial infection.
Not Recommended BUT. American Academy of Pediatrics recommends parents use single antipyretic agent at a proper dose and frequency for fever in children if you still want to with the consent of baby's Pediatrican, it should be done with extreme caution due to lack of any sound evidence to support this practice for safety and effectiveness of alternating and it should be limted to short period Advil/6hour Tyleno/4 hour.
Alternate meds. You can give tylenol (acetaminophen) at 8 then ibuprofen at 12, back to tylenol (acetaminophen) at 4, then ibuprofen at 8. on and on. (alternate one with the other every 4 hours) However if fever persisting with alternating doses of medicine for more than 24-48 hours then check with a doctor to try to figure out where the fever is coming from.
Don't alternate. I don't recommend that you alternate antipyrectics like tylenol (acetaminophen) and advil. There is too great of a risk of accidentally overdosing one of the medications. It is better to dose the medications based specifically upon your child's weight. Your pediatrician can calculate a dosage range based upon weight. (this is often different that what you see on the bottle).
Every 4 hours. While it is not necessary or proven effective, Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen may be alternated every 4 hours in attempt to control fever. Eg- tylenol (acetaminophen) at 12, Ibuprofen at 4, tylenol (acetaminophen) at 8, Ibuprofen at 12. However, there is no need to "break the fever". A temperature under 104 is not dangerous for most children after infancy. Call your doctor if the other (non-fever) symptoms seem serious.
Old fashioned. The Academy of Pediatrics has NEVER supported the alternating of tylenol (acetaminophen) and motrin. That came out of the ERs in the 70s. Today we typically ask what are the symptoms with the fever. Fever is now recognized as a healthy response to an infection. Every time you give medication to reduce fever you are reducing your child's immune response. Consult your doctor tomorrow.
Every two hours. Advil (ibuprofen) at 7 am tylenol at 9am advil at 11 am tylenol at 1 pm advil at 3 pm tylenol at 5pm continue to alternate as outlined above.
Every 3 hours. Because you can give both tylenol (acetaminophen) and advil every six hours you can give one of the medication every three. If, in a hypothetical situation, advil was given at 6:30 pm, then tylenol (acetaminophen) could be given at 9:30 pm, then advil at 12:30 am, then tylenol (acetaminophen) at 3:30 am, then advil at 6:30 am, then tylenol (acetaminophen) at 9:30 am.
Under 102.2F is ok. Try to avoid doubling up on doses I would give Motrin at 3pm, then tylenol (acetaminophen) at 6 pm, Motrin at 9pm, tylenol (acetaminophen) at 12 am if still awake and continue with this pattern. If this fever continues or especially if it gets higher I would get the child in to be seen.