Why can't I quit clearing my throat and coughing?

Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Post nasal drip?
The most common cause of constant throat clearing is post nasal drip due to seasonal allergies.

In brief: Post nasal drip?
Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Dr. Paul Cohen
Which is easily treated.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Possibility...
It is possible that post-nasal drip is the etiology of your symptoms.
There are very effective prescription nasal sprays available so see your doctor for evaluation and treatment.

In brief: Possibility...
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Mark Patterson
In brief: Post-nasal drip
Post-nasal drip is a common reason for feeling like there is something in your throat, leading to repeated clearing of the throat.
Cough is the body's effort to keep the drainage out of the lungs. If your symptoms persist for a week or more are associated with a fever or pain, i would suggest seeing your doctor.

In brief: Post-nasal drip
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology