What is the chance I have influenza based on the rapid test in the ER that says influenza? I have a cough and fever and a bad migraine.

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
In brief: Very high.
If the rapid test in the er says you had flu (and flu's been going around in your area), then there's a good chance you have flu.
Cough, fever and bad headache certainly go along with this. For most healthy people, flu goes away on it's own (5-10 days). If you were given any medication like tamiflu (oseltamivir) by the ed doc, you should take it. If fevers last longer than 4 days, you should get rechecked.

In brief: Very high.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Mark Patterson
In brief: Pretty good chance
The rapid flu test is very specific for the influenza virus, meaning that it only reacts and gives a positive result if the virus is present.
A positive test combined with your symptoms makes me think that you probably do indeed have the flu. Please follow the doctor's advice and feel better soon.

In brief: Pretty good chance
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: Inflenza
Your symptoms of fever, headache and cough are suggestive of onfluenza and if the rapid test was positive then you do have influenza and need to be treated with tamiflu and supportive care, means fluids, cough medicine and tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin for fever.

In brief: Inflenza
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna