Is there any way you ca nfigure out if you have endometriosis before the biopsy ?

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Unfortunately NO

Endometriosis causes pain and infertility or both.
The pelvic pain and infertility can be caused by other problems. Endometriosis can also be completely silent. Laparoscopy is needed to diagnose. You may not need to know if you have endometriosis because for infertility I do not need the diagnosis to treat. I suggest that you speak with your doc to decide how to proceed.

In brief: Unfortunately NO

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Angela Zhang

In brief: No.

You may have clinical manifestations of endometriosis such as cyclic pelvic pain peaking 1-2 days before onset of menses, pain with intercourse, abnormal bleeding, or infertility.
An endometrial biopsy evaluates for premalignant lesions or endometrial cancer. However, the only way to definitively diagnose endometriosis is through direct visualization with laproscopy or laparotomy.

In brief: No.

Angela Zhang
Angela Zhang
Answer assisted by Angela Zhang, Medical Student
Dr. Jane Van Dis