If I missed two birth control pills in a row should I double the next dose or continue taking one a day like I would normally?

Dr. Francine Yep

In brief: Depends on Pill

Depends on kind of pill you take: combo estrogen-progesterone or just Progesterone pill.
For estrogen-progesterone pills, it depends on where you are in the package. For a handy chart, see: http://www.Plannedparenthood.Org/health-topics/birth-control/if-forget-take-pill-19269.Htm this helps you know if you need to use back up method and for how long.

In brief: Depends on Pill

Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Francine Yep
Yes: that's a combo estrogen/progesteron pill. Look at the Planned Parenthood chart. Tells you what to do depending on where you are in your package. Hope this helps.
Dr. Gregory Hines

In brief: No

You should use some other form of birth control, as missing two pills in a row generally negates their effects.

In brief: No

Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Thomas Rohde
General Practice

In brief: Take extras

To make up for the two missed ones - take one extra now, another in 2 hours in addition to your regular daily dose - each 2 hours apart.
Nonetheless, this may cause some upset stomach/nausea with the higher dosing. I would also encourage you to use an alternative method of birth control for the remainder of your pack as well - condoms, foam , etc. Just to be on the safe side.

In brief: Take extras

Dr. Thomas Rohde
Dr. Thomas Rohde
Dr. Lonna Larsh

In brief: Both are right

Missing two in a row makes it more likely that you will ovulate, so you are more likely to get pregnant that month.
Don't have sex until you start your next packet of pill, or use condoms (always good to do anyway to protect from stis). I recommend taking 2 the day you remember and 2 the following day. Don't just stop the packet or your period will be more likely to be messed up (irregular).

In brief: Both are right

Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Lonna Larsh
4 comments
Dr. Lonna Larsh
Yes. If this just happened, take Plan B. If it was several days ago, then do a pregnancy test is 2-3 weeks.
Dr. Francine Yep
I agree with Dr. L!
Dr. Cindy Juster