How much does an MRI typically cost, in order to diagnose an Achilles tendon injury?

Depends. There is a big variety and it is definitely worth calling around for different prices, make sure you ask for full payment cash discount. Hospitals are more expensive than smaller imaging centers. Around here, the lowest price is $250.
Talk to the office. There is no standard fee for MRI and if you are inquiring what an out of pocket expense would be (for a cash pay patient or even with insurance) your best bet is to ask you doctor's office where you can have an MRI performed and then call those imaging locations. Your doctor's office will generally not know the answer as they are not the billing party.