Some suggestions are cool air from your freezer, automobile A/C, or go outside if its cool. Give this about 15 minutes.
• We see quite a few children in the Emergency Department with complete resolution of stridor simply by being exposed to cool aire on the trip over to the ED.
• Usually a parainfluenza virus
See more appropriate topic (instead of this one) if
• It doesn't sound like croup, see cough
• Tight purring sound when breathing out, see wheezing
When to Call Your Doctor
• Severe difficulty breathing
(struggling for each breath, unable to speak or cry because of difficulty breathing, continuous severe stridor)
• Child has passed out
or stopped breathing
• Lips are bluish when not coughing
• Croup started suddenly after bee sting
, taking a medicine or allergic food
• Child is drooling
, spitting or having great difficulty swallowing
(EXCEPTION: drooling due to teething
• Difficulty breathing (age over 1 year old) present when not coughing
• Lips have turned bluish during coughing
• Ribs are pulling in with each breath (retractions)
• Child can't bend the neck forward
• Severe chest pain
• Age less than 6 months with any stridor
• Weak immune system
(sickle cell disease, HIV
, chemotherapy, organ transplant, chronic steroids
over 104° F (40° C) and not improved 2 hours after fever medicine
Home Care Advice for Croupy Cough
• Most children with croup just have a barky cough.
• Some develop tight breathing (called stridor).
• Remember that coughing up mucus is very important for protecting the lungs from pneumonia
• We want to encourage a productive cough, not turn it off.
If the air is dry, run a humidifier in the bedroom. (Reason: Dry air makes croup worse.)
Homemade cough medicine
• Goal: reduce the irritation or tickle in the throat
that triggers a dry cough.
• AGE: 3 months to 1 year: Give warm clear fluids (e.g., water or apple juice) to treat the cough. Amount: 1-3 teaspoons (5-15 ml) four times per day when coughing. Avoid honey
until 1 year old.
• AGE 1 year and older: Use HONEY ½ to 1 teaspoon (2-5 ml) as needed as a homemade cough medicine. It can thin the secretions and loosen the cough. (If not available, can use corn syrup.)
• AGE 6 years and older: Use COUGH DROPS to coat the irritated throat. (If not available, can use hard candy.)
Non-prescription cough medicine (DM)
• Non-prescription cough medicines are not recommended. (Reason: no proven benefit for children). Never use them under 4 years of age. (Reason: risk of serious side effects and not approved by FDA)
• Honey has been shown to work better for coughs.