How long should you wait to insert contact lens after using travatan drop for glaucoma?

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology

In brief: 30 minutes

Almost all my patients go to bed after instilling their prostaglandin analogue (travatan), therefore they are not wearing their contact lenses.
I don't recommend sleeping in contacts. For the people who use anti glaucoma medications in the morning, i recommend waiting at least 30' before inserting contact lenses.

In brief: 30 minutes

2 comments
Dr. Pierre Guibor
Agree, however, 15 minutes with eyes closed before and after contact lens insertions works well for glaucoma drops instillation.
Dr. Jon Fishburn
My concern is long term tolerance to soft contact lens wear. The tonicity of the tears increases with medication instillation. Preservatives in the eye drops are the major culprit for most of the ocular irritations I see. I advise longer duration between eye drops and soft contact lens wear, in particular with the absorption of the medication to the contac lens & the potential added toxicity.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Minimal time

The time it takes to prepare the lens for insertion after you apply the travatan drop is plenty enough time.

In brief: Minimal time

Dr. Theodore Wu
wait at least 5 minutes
Dr. Andrea Brand