How do I deal with a smart ass, mouthy 17 yr old boy (son) that thinks he knows everything?

In brief: Know your limits

This is an issue that likely requires some help.
Teens enter a period similar to the terrible twos, and some can deal with it and some not. I would encourage you to visit a family counselor, together and/or separately.An evaluation of the situation could identify an emerging emotional problem in the teen and help you both develop some coping skills to get through this period.

In brief: Know your limits

Tejas Ozarkar
General Practice

In brief: Smart mouth

Assuming he is still in school, getting feedback from teachers, counselors, coworkers, etc is the first step.
If others agree that his behavior is distracting and making him non-functional, visit a primary care doc or psychiatrist. There are certainly disorders like anxiety, depression, or even oppositional defiance disorder that may be precipitating this behavior. Good luck!

In brief: Smart mouth

Tejas Ozarkar
Tejas Ozarkar
Answer assisted by Tejas Ozarkar, Medical Student
Dr. Videh Mahajan

In brief: Mouthy kid

Tough call. Try setting up clear expectations.

In brief: Mouthy kid

Dr. Videh Mahajan
Dr. Videh Mahajan
Dr. Shontae Buffington