Hi doctor, what could be the cause of feet swollen ? Is it that my body is retaining more water? How can this condition be treated? Thanks

Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Many causes
My specialty is phlebology (varicose veins, blood clots, and lymphatic disorders).
Certainly, vein trouble can be a cause for feet swelling and should be considered in the diagnosis. However, there many other causes that should be considered, including heart, lung, kidney, liver, fluid, endocrine, and protein disorders. The best place to start would be to see you primary care doctor.

In brief: Many causes
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
You're welcome.
Tejas Ozarkar
General Practice
In brief: Edema
You are right that your body is probably retaining more water in areas of the body where it doesn't belong, like your feet.
This puffiness is called edema. Edema can be caused by many different things ranging from congestive heart failure, kidney failure, pregnancy, imbalance in hormone. It could be due to vein or lymphatic channel problem too. Check with your md for u/s of legs.

In brief: Edema
Tejas Ozarkar
Tejas Ozarkar
Answer assisted by Tejas Ozarkar, Medical Student
Dr. Videh Mahajan
In brief: Edema
Retaining fluid is more likely due happens due to heart, liver or kidney problems.
It could be due to venous insufficiency. Treatment typically is based on the the problems. However elevating legs, restriction salt and using compression stocking are useful in any condition.

In brief: Edema
Dr. Videh Mahajan
Dr. Videh Mahajan
Dr. Arnon Rubin